Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Are Radio Stations Crossing A Line??


I have been noticing that a lot of radio stations in my area (I can't speak for everywhere in the world) are not very child friendly. I find that a lot of the daily "talk shows" as well as the music they play are very insinuating and suggestive and can give young listeners the wrong impressions. If movies and television can be rated for viewers, why shouldn't a radio station be rated for listeners? I am not a mother yet but I do plan to become one in the future, and when I do, I will be paying close attention (well as much as I can) to what my child sees and hears, to make sure it is age appropriate. I really don't like the notion that my 3 year old child will know all the words to the song "Low" by Flo Rida because of some radio station that won't stop playing it from 8am to 11pm. (Yes I heard a 3 year old singing this song on the radio recently..his mother called in to have him request it.) I find this song along with many other songs that are played on the radio lately to be suited towards teenagers or young adults not children.

I know, I know, I sound like an old nagging hag but I feel very strongly about this sort of thing because when I was young I never heard any sort of swear word or anything of that nature untill I was about 12 years old and no I didn't grow up in a religious family at all. And I feel that because I was a little older before I was submitted to suggestive language and images I was better able to form my own thoughts and opinions in a more positive way.




Feel free to post your opinions on this matter.



Thanks for reading,
Mary-Ann

No comments: